Securing a national strategy for diabetes -
The Diabetes Think Tank has welcomed the Government's decision to prioritise improvements in diabetes. However, if the improvements in diabetes care are to be realised, it is essential any future strategy properly addresses the needs of people living with condition.
Following its meeting in June 2015, the Think has produced an infographic which sets out what areas members believe should be prioritised by the Department of Health and NHS England for inclusion in a future diabetes strategy.
The Think Tank has made the following recommendations:
- Establish quality metrics to monitor the performance of clinical commissioning groups against specific aspects of diabetes care
- Prioritise areas of improvement that can help to deliver financial savings during the course of the Parliament
- Utlise regional networks to lead on the implementation of the strategy at a local level
- Provide resources for commissioners and providers on good practice examples of high quality diabetes care, and consider re-establishing NHS Diabetes
- Commission the Patient Experience of Diabetes Services survey as an important lever towards driving improvement in the quality of diabetes care
To download the infographic, please click on the link below: