CCG Improvement and Assessment Framework -
The Mandate to NHS England 2016-17 confirmed the development of a CCG Improvement and Assessment Framework. The Framework will provide CCGs with an aggregated Ofsted-style assessment of performance, including in diabetes care.
Diabetes Think Tank members welcomed the inclusion of indicators focused on the three treatment targets - HbA1c, LDL-C and blood pressure - and on structured education within the Framework. However, members also identified a number of opportunities where the indicators could be strengthened to ensure that the data collection is as robust and comprehensive as possible.
The Think Tank made the following recommendations that should be considered by the Department of Health and NHS England in the development of the Framework:
- Positive support not punitive consequences for low diabetes ratings
- Strengthen the indicator for structured education
- Increase participation in the National Diabetes Audit
- Indicators should make clear distinctions between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
- Driving improvement against the indicators through:
- Setting a target to deliver percentage improvements year-on-year
- Setting a target to reduce variation
- Publishing the data on a quarterly basis
To download the infographic please click on the link below